Monday, February 3, 2014

Super Bowl Sunday!

I'll be honest with you...I have never been a football fan.  In fact, I would go as far as to say that I hated it most of my life.  The rules were too confusing, the progress of the game moved too slowly, and it would take FOREVER for a few minutes on the clock to run out!  In high school, I would go to the games strictly to socialize and would come home most of the time not even knowing who won.  In college, I stopped going to the games half way through my freshman year although I had bought season's tickets because it was just too boring!  And after I finished college and didn't even have a school team to follow, it just went completely downhill from there...meaning I never watched a game again.  Then fast forward to February 2006 when the Seahawks made their first appearance in the Super Bowl.  I was a newly wed living in Long Beach, CA and, at my mother's insistence, Ron and I sat down and watched the entire game out of loyalty to my motherland.  Ron was able to explain the rules of the game while we watched and I was actually surprised to learn that I could understand football which made it kind of fun to watch.  That experience made a tiny impression in my mind, but not enough to turn me into a full-fledged football fan.
A little over a year later, we moved back up Washington and the home of the Seahawks.  This really didn't matter for several years until their team suddenly got REALLY good last year and Ron started following them.  By the time they started their season this year, my curiosity was peaked and I began watching every game and fell in love with this team!  The players were all so different and dynamic and they were just so good!!  We would start every week by figuring out when the next game was being played and we would look forward to watching it.  Even the children got into it...Logan started calling them "Heehawks" and Lia began learning the names of our player's and their opposing teams.  We would all gather around the TV on Sunday afternoons and cheer our hearts out.  Somehow, I became a fan overnight, and was thrilled when they made it to the Super Bowl.  "Hawk fever" was everywhere--on cars, business signs, people's backs, and even in the schools.  Lia made a #12 Seahawk sign this past week in school as an art project and they even had a blue and green day on Friday.  She decked herself out and even packed a bag for Marabella, her doll, and her to "fly" to New York City this weekend to attend the big game!  So, last night, we gathered around the TV and screamed our way to victory waving the signs that Lia had also made for Ron, her doll, and me.  It was a most triumphant night and one I will always remember.  Go Hawks!


We rushed upstairs during halftime to make dinner and ate it during the first half of the third quarter.  Logan threw a fit when I put him in his highchair with his back to the TV.  It wasn't until I moved his chair to a place where he could watch the game while eating that he calmed down.  I thought that was so funny!


Here we are back down in the basement rooting on our team during the fourth quarter.  Please note that even Marabella is wearing all blue and holding her sign.


Logan kept himself busy at the end of the game by modeling a hat from the dress-up box.  Such a cute boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment