Monday, May 10, 2010

My Day and Mother's Day

This past weekend, I celebrated both my birthday and Mother's Day all in one. If only every weekend was like this! I actually was up working in Issy on Thursday and Friday which always involves staying with my parents. As a result, my always wonderful and ever-serving mother made me a fabulous birthday dinner of my choice on Thursday night for just the four of us (mi padres, Lia, and myself). Twenty years later, I am still requesting the same meal of leg of lamb, new potatoes, asparagus, and her homemade strawberry shortcake. They also presented me with my present: a new digital camera! 3.5 years later, I will no longer have to use a camera covered in duct tape due to an "accident" in Lisbon, Portugal. Thanks, mom and dad! You truly are some of my favorite people on this planet!
I then returned home Friday evening, to find that the "birthday elf" had visited in my absence. I was actually surprised as I honestly thought that this holiday elf was on sabbatical until June...but, he managed to find some time to attend to some nonprofessional responsibilities. Lucky me!

This was the note I found stuck on our guest bedroom door. Silly elf.

I woke up on my actual birthday morning to find this spread that the birthday elves (aka: Lia and Ron) had prepared for me in the dining room. A piping hot cinnamon roll, my absolute favorite peanut butter m&m's sprinkled around like confetti, lit candles, a bouquet of flowers, and my gift: a NEW set of luggage! My old set is over ten years old and has most definitely seen its better days. The large suitcase is also covered in duct tape (notice a pattern?) and the carry-on suitcase has a handle that only goes down when it's in the mood (which is a slight problem when it has to fit into an overhead bin a minute later). So, I am now ready to hit my next big adventure with a new camera and luggage in hand! Can anyone say Eastern Caribbean next month??? I SURE CAN!

Lia was already hard at work devouring her cinnamon roll before I walked into the dining room. Just like her mother, eating is definitely the priority over manners.

Just like ANY OTHER Saturday this school year, Ron had to sequester himself in the office to work on UW homework all afternoon after attending his morning class. We are getting sooooooooo tired of this! Anyways, as a result, Lia and I ventured out on a bike ride after her nap. The weather was in the upper 60s and absolutely perfect for hitting up our new, favorite park that we discovered a few weeks ago. Here is my little monkey climbing up the ladder.

Weeeeeh! Down she goes!

For my birthday evening, the fat lady sang and we actually got a babysitter. Ron and I headed out to this great, old seafood restaurant called "Harbor Lights" right on the Puget Sound in Tacoma. Ron and Lia got to go here for dinner last August when Lola was visiting (I had to miss it due to a church over-nighter with the Young Womens). As as result, I have been itching to try out this place ever since I heard about the to-die-for, four-pound buckets of butter clams they serve. We enjoyed the halibut and salmon and the most decadent, creamy crab, shrimp, and artichoke dip with fresh, sour dough rolls. The most entertaining part of the evening was the fact that half of the south sound area's high schools seemed to be holding their prom that night. As a result, there were teenagers everywhere on Ruston Avenue where we ate (F.Y.I...this is NOT a good thing if your name is Lisa and Ron. When one works with this species as much as we do, being in close proximity to them in your free time is as pleasurable as lemon juice in a paper cut).
Here we are after our dinner dodging teeangers and enjoying the sunset.

Okay, this is a random one...so, don't laugh. Ever since that so-not-funny, teen dramedy, Ten Things I Hate About You, came out over ten years ago, I have always wondered where that amazing Hogwarts like school with the incredible views of the sound was filmed (the movie takes place in Seattle in case you're wondering). A few weeks ago, I was at a church activity for the youth in my ward and was talking to some of the other leaders. Somehow the location of this high school came up in our conversation and I learned that it was filmed at Stadium High School in Tacoma. Since this high school is only a few minutes away from where we ate dinner, I dragged Ron up the hill to check it out. And, wouldn't you know, only five or so minutes after we got there, two rocking, party limos showed up with over 50 teens coming to take pictures before heading off to their prom. Ahhhh! Ron and I literally took off running......just as we heard one of them ask if we could take their massive, group picture. NO thanks, it's MY birthday! Anyways, besides having to dodge a horde of hormonally-charged and probably already drunk teenagers, we had a pleasant time wandering around this unbelievable castle of a high school, gawking at the architecture and views of the sound. It was amazing! Pictured above is the main courtyard and entrance to the school.

Sunday was, of course, Mother's Day and the ladies on my side of the family were treated right. We all met at Tip's house in Port Orchard for a meal and gifts. Since Chris had just been out boating the day before with a neighbor, we were treated to FRESH shrimp and oysters that he had just caught! In addition, we also were served barbecued chicken, fresh fruit, a couscous salad, rolls, and peach pie and red velvet cake (both compliments of the Costco bakery) for dessert. It was divine. Here are the four men working ALONE in the kitchen. Miracles do happen.

My two brothers doing what men do best on Mother's Day.

We were blessed with more gorgeous, spring weather on Mother's Day. Here is the view from my rich brother's deck. It pays to be a dentist, doesn't it? ;-)

Lia is blessed with two older cousins who take care of her like little mothers whenever we get together. Brynn entertained Lia most of the evening. One of the activities was OF COURSE coloring as Brynn is an aspiring artist. Lia loved this and would appear upstairs every few minutes with a new drawing. Here are the two girls hard at work in Brynn's room.

Brynny, Lia, and Vivi playing in the backyard while dinner was still being prepared. Lia absolutely loved sliding down in "train formation" with her older cousins!
Thanks, everyone, for a fabulous weekend!

2 comments:

  1. You and the teenagers! I can't believe you refused to take their picture. I am laughing soooo hard right now! soundlike you had a wonderful birthday and mothers day. I hope you will get some Ronnie-poo time in soon! My goodness that boy is busy busy busy. It will be so exciting when he finishes! Sorry my phone died on your the other day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Double Day to you! Looks like the perfect weekend!

    ReplyDelete