Sunday, May 8, 2016

The Big 4-0

Well, it actually happened.  I turned forty today.  I know that everyone says this, but it's true...I don't feel forty.  I don't think I look forty.  And I am still chasing around little children.  So, how can I be forty?  Who the heck knows.  I have chosen not to invest too much time or energy pondering this puzzling event in my life.  Instead, I have chosen to just accept it and move on...
So, with that said, my fortieth birthday fell yet again on Mother's Day.  So, it was a combo deal this year and, overall, it really was a pleasant day.  In fact, the day before was a wonderful day, too, but I didn't take any pictures.  Sometimes, I just like to live in the moment instead of being behind a camera.  On Saturday, I took the three kids to the first gardening class of the season.  The weather was gorgeous and sunny, so it was so nice to be outside in a beautiful garden learning about dinosaurs with my kids.  After wards, I brought them home and dropped them off to Ron and dashed away to a fabulous, outside Mother's Day luncheon in a park with a bunch of ladies from church.  You couldn't have asked for a more beautiful day and setting.  It was so nice to eat delicious food outside while chatting with some of my favorite people in this town.  After  the luncheon, I came home and picked up Logan and Lia and took them to the movie theater to see Disney's new Jungle Book movie.  We seriously go to the movies two or three times a year, so this was a treat.  We bought popcorn and root beer and had a grand old time watching this new version of a beloved favorite of ours.  After the movie, we came home and got Ella up from her nap.  Everyone put on their swimsuits and played in the baby pool and the sprinklers in the backyard while Ron made us dinner.  It was pure heaven for me.  We finished up the evening by eating a delicious, BBQ dinner outside on the deck.  It was a perfect way to wrap up my thirties!


We started off my actual birthday morning with Ron and Lia making me breakfast.  They treated me to eggs, sausage, fruit, and cinnamon rolls.  We ate in the dining room and it was delicious!


A picture of my breakfast before I devoured it!


Lia striking a funny pose.


And, of course, Logan followed.


Sweet Ella laughing along their sides.


The "generous" card the kids and Ron had waiting for me.


After breakfast, we opened up the few birthday/Mother's Day gifts they had wrapped for me.  Although the big gift for my 40th is a trip to Hawaii, the kids and Ron were nice enough to give me a few more presents.


Lia painted me a beautiful picture of a bouquet of flowers at school.  


Hugging my cuties before opening another gift.


Logan showing off one of my gifts--a battery tester.  I know, it's a strange present, but my other one died and I needed a new one!


After breakfast and gifts, we got all pretty for church and snapped a few pictures outside before leaving.  Here I am with the three reasons why I am a mom.


A close-up of my cuties and me.


And another close-up with a better smile on Logan's face!


After church, we headed up to my parents' house for dinner with Eric's family.  My mother kindly offered to forgo her Mother's Day to host my milestone birthday dinner.  Yes, she is the best.  After a delicious lamb dinner (my request), we opened a few more gifts.  Here I am reading a card from Eric and Rebecca with Lia and Logan looking on.


Showing off the new set of knives my parents got me!


And a new jacket.


My mom was also able to open up her Mother's Day gifts.


Grandma reading a card with Lia and Vivi at her side.


A close-up of two of my favorite people.


Grandpa entertained Ella and Logan for much of the gift opening.  My kids can never get enough of grandpa and his paddles!


Grandma and my girls.


We finished off the evening with me blowing out FORTY candles (thanks, Bryce) on the strawberry shortcake my mom made for me.


Blowing away!  I actually got them all out in one breath which is probably a good thing since I am sure the fire alarm was about to go off!  

No comments:

Post a Comment