Tuesday, August 16, 2016

2016 Priest Lake Family Reunion

The kids and I just returned home last night from my family's annual reunion at Priest Lake.  Since Ron always has to work during the month of August, he is never able to go up with us, but has come and "picked" us up on the second weekend of the reunion for several years in a row.  However, that all stopped last summer after getting his new job as a high school principal as August is now too stressful for him to get away.  Although I caught a ride over and back with my parents last year, I decided that I would try to do the drive alone this summer.  Luckily, I was able to get one niece to ride out with me and a different niece to ride home so that I could get some help with taking care of the little ones while driving.  Brynn and Vivi were a great help and made the 8-hour drive there and back quite pleasant.
After arriving there on a sunny Saturday afternoon, the weather changed the next morning as predicted.  As a result, we had pretty cool and cloudy weather for the next four days.  We made the most of it and went for our morning water ski every day (rain or shine) and went down to the beach and dock whenever there were improved breaks in the weather.  Tuesday was predicted to be the worst, so the entire gang minus my parents, the toddlers, and me went to the large Silverwood theme park two hours away.  It felt kind of strange sending Lia off on a 13-hour day to a theme park without me, but she had an amazing time going on rides all day long and being with her cousins while under the watchful eye of Aunt Rebecca who agreed to be her adopted mom for the day.  The weather finally changed back to sunny and warm on Thursday and we enjoyed the next four days of glorious fun in the sun before packing up and heading home yesterday.  It is always so hard to leave Priest Lake--especially on a sunny day, but it was a great family reunion and I  love that we have this beautiful place to enjoy every year!


I didn't bother taking any pictures of our trip until the weather improved.  So, here we are out on Thursday morning enjoying the sunshine for the first time in four days.  After watching Eric take the Sunfish sailboat out that morning, Logan begged and begged to go for a sail.  Luckily, Eric agreed to take him out after returning to the dock and Logan was thrilled!  Here is my little guy getting ready to set sail.


And they're off!


After a nice sail out across the lake, Uncle Eric brought Logan back safe and sound and smiling from ear to ear!


The little kids and me enjoying the large inner tube while floating around the dock.


As always, Lia had a wonderful time palling around with her older cousins all week long.  Here she is cruising on the paddle board with Vivi and Callie.


Due to Lia's suggestion, grandma planned a talent show for one evening during the week when everyone had to get up and share a talent.  Lia was insistent on doing a gymnastics routine.  Here she is going into a handstand.


Logan and Ella were hilarious when it was their turn to get up and perform their "interpretive dance." :-)


Grandma and grandpa reading their poem with a cute Ella looking on.


The boys playing with some boats off of the dock.


One of my favorite activities to do with Logan and Ella this summer (at Priest Lake and at Lake Samm) was to take them around on the paddle board.  Sweet Ella would always happily sit in my lap with her hands on my legs.  It was the cutest thing!  Here we are going for a paddle around the dock.


Out in the "deep end."


As always, grandpa had the grandkids participate in a scavenger hunt around the cabin.  She separated them into three groups--the big boys, the big girls, and the toddlers.  Here are Logan, Trenton, and Ella looking for their next clue.


Aunt Natalee helping the little kids read their clue.


The three kiddos checking out their loot that they found hidden in the woodshed.


Although the brothers and I and some of the teenagers went out for a ski every morning, my mom held off until the very end of the week when it was sunny and warm.  At age 74, she can still get up on a one-ski!


Trenton, Logan, and Ella got a kick out of playing with the toy fishing poles we brought up.  Here they are fishing in the boat slip.


Logan fishing from inside the comfort of a tube.


Swimming in that glorious, crystal clear water!


Ella got so brave this summer and started jumping to me off the dock and swimming around (on her own) while wearing a life jacket.  It just was the most amazing thing as both of my other kids at two years old refused to go on the water for most of that summer!  She is so much more brave and independent than they ever were at this age.


Ella swimming away from me!


And off she goes!


Ella jumping to mama.


And playing on the beach.


On our last afternoon there, my mom, Chris' family, and the kiddos and me took the boat to one of our favorite beaches on the lake that we haven't visited in years.  The sand is sugar fine and almost white colored.  As a result, the water is unbelievably clear and the beach is super fun to play on.  Here are Logan, Ella, and me walking out onto the sandbar that is made by a creek emptying into the lake at this beach.  Look at that water!


The kids had so much fun playing at this beach.  We even spotted two otters and swam after them into the creek where they disappeared into the bushes with a giant fish in one of their mouths!  Here is an awesome picture of Logan and Trenton walking across a fallen log.


Lia, Callie, Brynn, and Vivi building a sand castle in the super soft sand.


Ella and Logan playing in the water.


My Ellie Bellie.


And my Logan.  This water could almost pass for Hawaiian water in this picture!


My kiddos and me.  I heart Priest Lake.


A group shot we took of the entire family (minus Ron and Spencer who is now in Taiwan) before everyone went their separate ways.


As Eric was loading up his motorcycles, Trenton and Ella hopped on and had a fun time pretending they were riding them.


The cutest, little girl to ever ride a motorcycle!


The cutest bums I've ever seen! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment