Monday, June 22, 2020

Father's Day Weekend 2020

We just wrapped up our Father's Day weekend yesterday.  It was a great way to kick off the summer.  With Ron's encouraging, I decided at the last minute to not require Logan and Ella to complete school work on Friday (Lia's teacher stopped assigning anything on Wednesday). Instead, I asked all three kids to help me for several hours to get ready to host our family BBQ that evening.  Several years ago, Ron and I came to the agreement that we would see my family on Mother's Day (my choice) and that we would spend Father's Day alone with just our own immediate family (Ron's choice).  The only problem with this compromise is that it means that I never get to see my own father on Father's Day.  Earlier this week, I got an idea that I should have thought of years ago to host my family for an early Father's Day celebration.  Since everyone has very empty calendars right now due to most things still being cancelled from the Covid-19 shutdown, everyone was available to join us when I invited them over last minute.  We decided to host the dinner on Friday evening instead of Saturday evening since the temperature was predicted to be in the low 80s.  After several hours of working to get the house and yard ready, we were able to have a quiet hour before the guests started arriving at 4 p.m.  The kids all had a great time playing in the pool and in the yard while Ron grilled hamburgers and I got the rest of dinner ready.  Since my mom and sisters-in-law all brought food to share, it really was not too much work to feed 19 people that evening.  We enjoyed a delicious dinner outside on the back deck before eating dessert and watching my dad open a few presents.  Although Chris and Riley never ended up joining us since they got a flat tire on their way to my house after hiking all day up at the pass, we had a wonderful evening being together celebrating my dad.


Logan convinced me to buy water balloons for the first time in my mothering career.  After discovering the new and improved way that allows you to blow up over 30 balloons at once, I am now converted and will be buying them on a regular basis every summer for years to come.  The kids had a fun time throwing water balloons at each other after a dip in the pool.


Sweet baby Emmett popped a water balloon in his hands while sitting on his trike.  He simply thought it was a ball and squeezed it too hard.  He didn't even flinch when the water sprayed all over his clothes.  Here he is right after soaking himself with his water balloon.


Logan reaching into the cooler to pick up another water balloon.


Ella giving Emmett another balloon while the other siblings looked on.


Grandpa enjoying his dinner with the younger grandkids at his side.


The rest of the group eating at the other table.


The kids enjoying a second dip in the pool after dinner.


Emmett had fun playing with the water that shoots back into the pool from the filter thanks to the help of Uncle Eric.


A close-up of Trenton and Logan lounging on our giant floaties.


Logan looking on as grandpa read one of his cards.


Ella sitting on grandpa's lap as he read another card.  I just love how much my kids love their grandpa.


On the actual Father's Day, we enjoyed a nice, quiet day at home.  We prepared a big breakfast for Ron of eggs, bacon, and cinnamon rolls that we ate in the dining room.  After home church, we went on a walk and Ron was able to take an afternoon nap.  I then made him a Filipino dinner with a chocolate pie (requested by Logan) that we all enjoyed eating out on the deck.  We finished off the evening with Ron opening up a few gifts in the living room before bedtime.  It was the perfect quiet and relaxing day that Ron likes the best!


Ron ready to dive into his dinner with Emmett eating at his side.


To keep Emmett happy (who always finishes his dinner before the rest of us), I started feeding him little licks of whipped cream from the chocolate pie that was already sitting on the table.  Every time I would feed him some, he would get this huge smile on his face that made all of us laugh.  Here is one of his goofy grins that I managed to get a picture of after feeding him some whipped cream.


Ron and the kids gathered around the chocolate pie before we dove into it!


For the first time ever, I gave Emmett his own spoon to feed himself chocolate pie.  Although he made a mess of himself, he absolutely loved it and thoroughly enjoyed feeding himself every bite.


A close-up of our blue-eyed cutie covered in chocolate pie.



Ella showing off her picture that she drew for dad as one of his gifts.


Papa surrounded by all four children while reading his card from all of us.


Ron opening up his big, Father's Day gift.


Although this picture is very similar to the previous one, I just had to include it because of how cute baby Emmett looks in the foreground of this picture.  We all couldn't get over how round and puffed out his adorable cheeks look in this photo.  Oh, he is just the chunkiest and cutest one-year old around!  And on that note, Happy Father's Day to our beloved husband and father.  We sure do love you and appreciate everything you do for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment