Monday, November 7, 2022

Emmett's First Swim Lesson!

Since I started my three older children in swim lessons when they were approaching their 4th birthday, I realized this fall that it was time to do the same with Emmett.  Since September and October were the busiest two months so far in my mothering career, I just didn't have the time or energy to even think about enrolling Emmett in his first class.  But as we headed into November with Lia finishing up XC and her play, I knew that I would have a little more time to breathe and so I signed him up for the beginner's swim class at the YMCA.  After I told Emmett a few days ago that he would be starting swim lessons, he was so thrilled and kept on asking me when it would start.  Needless to say, he was bursting with excitement this morning, but also got very quiet after we dropped Logan and Ella off at school and drove to the Y.  I could tell his little brain was thinking about his swim class as he started asking me all sorts of questions about the logistics of how it would work.  
When we arrived, Emmett bravely walked into the Y with me and followed all of my instructions on going into the locker room, taking off his jacket and shoes, and getting in the shower for a quick rinse.  He then patiently waited with me on the pool deck to meet his teacher.  After finding his class, I ended up walking down to the far end of the pool and watching Emmett's class from just a few feet away instead of walking back to the viewing area at the other end of the pool.  Emmett did such a good job and listened to the teacher every time she taught them something and followed her instructions every time she asked him to do something.  When the class was over, Emmett sadly told me that he didn't want to get out of the pool.  I'd say that was a successful first day of swim class!
***And just for the record, I wanted to record the cutest thing that Emmett said about half way through the class after the teacher had told the students several times not to let go of the edge of the pool, but neglected to tell them the reason why.  After hearing this rule repeated many times, Emmett asked the question, "What happens if I let go of the pool?"  He said it loud enough for every parent to hear and, as a result, he got a few chuckles.  However, I thought that it was a very good question and so I happily said, "You will sink," which was an answer that Emmett was immediately satisfied with.  Such a cute boy.


Emmett waiting on the pool deck to meet his teacher for the first time.


Emmett and the other kids sitting at the edge of the pool at the beginning of class.


Emmett smiling at me while hanging onto the edge of the pool.


Emmett practicing his kicks with the other students.


My cutie flashing me a funny smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment