Friday, June 12, 2009

A Cause for Celebration!

Well, there is cause for a little celebration in the Hartland today. Why you may ask? Today was my last day of work kicking off three whole months that my little one and I get to be together! Although nothing compares to the doozie of the school year I had last year, both my housewife-envy and I are ready for a break! This working mom thing is for the birds!

Although substitute teaching has had its pros and cons this year, I am grateful for the flexibility that comes with this job and the opportunity it gave me to do my part in helping to make ends meet. Just some quick facts for the record: I subbed in two districts this year covering classrooms that ranged in age from preschool to 12th grade. I worked a total of 89 days at exactly FORTY different schools (no wonder I had a hard time remembering where I was half way through the school day by June). Memorable moments (that could be viewed as highlights or lowlights) include dissecting minks in anatomy class, swimming in the PHS pool with a special ed class, being picked up on by various HS boys, and providing an impromptu seminar during lunch to a pregnant 16-year old on "What to Expect During Labor and Delivery" after learning that she didn't know a single thing about it! Ahhhh! I would have to say that the most enjoyable moment I had all year was during the lunch break that I spent on a gorgeous day in May walking down memory lane through the hallways of my beloved alma mater before it gets torn down (please see "IHS Updates" in my list of blogs for an explanation). Fifteen years later, memories still brought back some nostalgic feelings and a few smiles to my face.

But, now it's on to summer! We're off to eat Greek to celebrate!

P.S. In case you are wondering why my husband's name is absent from any summer celebrating, it is due to the fact that he starts his second masters program at UW the very day after his "work school" gets out. The poor guy. He will be going to school full-time this summer. No fun for him or us!

2 comments:

  1. woohoo! Enjoy the summer with your little one! Hope you have great weather!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Second Masters?! What on earth?

    ReplyDelete