Wednesday, December 8, 2010

My Annual Friend

The night before our wedding, we hosted an informal dinner at our Lake Samm cabin for family and friends who had come from out of town to attend our nuptials. Joy, one of Ron's cousins, brought us a beautiful, burgundy colored orchid plant as a pre-wedding gift. Since we were living in California at the time, I left the plant behind with my mother who took care of it until I moved back to my homeland two years later. Since the summer of 2007, this orchid plant has been my constant companion in the kitchen. And about every 13 months, a shoot springs forth bearing a cluster of tender, green buds. Within a matter of weeks, the most stunning orchids burst open and grace my kitchen with their presence for the next few months. Although this process had begun this year before I left for North Carolina, you will see what I found patiently awaiting my return last week. Welcome back, my annual friend. It's good to have you around again.

No comments:

Post a Comment