Wednesday, September 7, 2016

First Days of School!

After a summer of seemingly nonstop play, it all came to a screeching half with the start of school yesterday.  I was in total denial of the entire thing as we rolled into our driveway the night before at 8 p.m. after our camping trip to Blake Island.  I laughed to myself as I just knew that all of Lia's little friends were bathed, in bed, with their clothes picked out and their backpacks packed for the big day.  And here we were literally playing until the 11th hour.  Oh well.  I will always be one of those moms who loves summer and loves playing with her kiddos.  No schedule, no homework, no activities, no piano practicing, no nothing.  Sigh.  All good things must come to an end.
Symbolically, the sun disappeared and the rains descended yesterday...so apparently even the heavens knew that the fun was ending.  After a crazy and rushed morning, we managed to get Lia and the rest of the kiddos ready in time for some quick pictures on the porch and a mad dash down the hill to Lia's school.  We parked waaay out on 12th Avenue and were forced to take the long walk around the entire field (thanks to the school forgetting to unlock the gate) to get to the school.  Luckily, they were running behind schedule and Lia's class was dismissed a few minutes late which gave Lia a chance to get in line and gave me a chance to snap a few more pictures.
Lia was the epitome of calm, cool, and collected.  She has grown so much these past three years of school.  She was totally relaxed and excited for school to begin.  We had met her teacher last week and she looks so fun, organized, and dedicated to her job.  Plus, her room is decked out in Seahawks paraphernalia from floor to ceiling with giant, cut-out posters of Doug Baldwin everywhere.  So, how could Lia go wrong?!  I am so grateful that Lia gets to go to such a wonderful school with such wonderful friends.  Here's to another fabulous year!


Lia all dressed up in her new clothes ready to go!


Since it was raining, Lia insisted on striking a pose with her umbrella.


As always, her two siblings insisted on copying her.  After we had to hunt down two more umbrellas, this is the picture we got!


After getting to the school and finding Lia's class line, we found her good friend, Sienna, for a picture.  Lia has three good friends in her class this year, but her closest is Sienna who she has known since PreK.


We saw Mollie and Gabs as they were walking to their lines, so we snapped a quick picture of them.  I will be babysitting these girls every morning again for another school year.


My big girl heading off to class.  So proud of you, Lia!


Today marked Logan's first day of PreK at the same Lutheran Church Lia attended four years ago.  Although we participated in a co-op last year with some women from my church, I was able to get him enrolled several months ago at this fabulous preschool that Lia and I absolutely loved.  And to top it all off, I found out last week at parent orientation that Logan was assigned Miss Vera as his teacher who was the same teacher Lia had.  She is honestly one of the kindest and most loving people I have ever met and is the coveted teacher to get at this preschool.  She has taught for over 25 years, so I didn't even know if she would still be teaching when Logan started preK.  Believe it or not, this little guy (who normally just likes to stay home on his couch and watch TV in the morning) was actually excited to go to school.  He was so cute and packed his backpack with notebooks and a bunch of pens and crayons.  Logan even admitted to me that he was a lot excited, but a little bit nervous which is pretty mature for him.  In fact, I don't think I have ever even heard him use the word nervous before.  Regardless, I am really glad that I held off enrolling Logan in a real preschool for a year.  He really has made some progress these past few months and has finally started to move out of his terrible twos.  In many ways, it has been a rough 2.5 years for the two of us, but it has really bonded us for life.  I sure love this little guy and part of me is so sad that he will be leaving me for full-time school in just one year.  But, I digress...
So, here is my cute, little guy in his new Star Wars outfit and hat standing on the front porch.  He even came up with this pose all by himself!  I just think he is the cutest thing.


We tried another pose with the front of his backpack showing.


After dropping Lia, Mollie, and Gabs off at school, we dashed up the hill to Logan's preschool.  It's a good thing that his preschool is only a few minutes from Lia's school so it will make getting him there by 9 o'clock very do-able every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.  We quickly parked and rushed inside with Ella and her backpack.  She has to do everything her older siblings do!  Logan quietly and patiently waited in line until his teacher came to pick them up.  Logan barely flinched as I kissed him goodbye.  This is a big deal for this little boy of mine.  


When I picked Logan up 2.5 hours later, he was so happy and excited about his morning.  His teacher said that he did a wonderful job listening, following directions, and coloring in the lines.  This was a major relief for me as there were many times last year when he would not do any of these things for me when I hosted preschool.  I am so grateful that his first day of preschool went well.  Here's to many more!  Here is a picture of Logan showing off his crown that he colored at preschool.  Look what a nice job he did coloring the pictures on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment