Thursday, February 9, 2017

Mother Daughter Valentine's Day Party

At the beginning of January, I sat down to plan out the rest of the school year's Activity Days for my group of church girls and decided to try doing something a little different.  We normally meet at my house twice a month and check off a single goal in the Faith In God booklet each time.  However, I decided to choose a more extensive goal in the "Serving Others" section which asks the girls to plan and hold a parent-child activity which would take a few Activity Days in a row.  Since Valentine's Day was coming up, I thought that it would be fun to host a Mother-Daughter Valentine's Day Party at my house.  I proposed the idea to the girls and they were very excited to do it.  For the first meeting in January, we planned out all of the details of the party and the girls made invitations to give to their moms.  For the second meeting of the month, we reviewed our party plans and then the girls made crowns for their mothers to wear since we decided that they wanted to treat them like "queens" for the evening.
We held the actual event tonight at our house and it was such a success!  Lia helped me decorate the tables in the kitchen after she got home from school today and it looked so cute. We used Valentine's Day themed decor and decorated in pink and red.  We also bought balloons and I pulled out my grandma's huge, tissue poms to hang from the ceiling that are probably forty years old!  All of the mothers and daughters arrived on time tonight at 6:30 wearing Sunday clothes and everyone remembered to bring their food assignment.  We had such a fun time eating all of the delicious finger foods that people brought before moving into the family room for the program.  I had the girls sing two primary songs before reading a note that they had written about their mothers one at a time.  We then finished up by playing a game that tested the girls on how well they knew their mothers.  I think that everyone had a great time and I am so glad that we were able to host this fun event for the girls and their mothers.
  

We managed to squeeze 22 people into our kitchen thanks to two extra tables that I borrowed from our neighbors up the street.  Here are all of the mothers and their daughters enjoying the food after arriving at the party.


A shot of the delicious food that everyone contributed.


The "head table" smiling at the camera.


Lia and me enjoying our table time together.


Lia's good friend, Isabel, from her primary class and her mom, Jen.


Lia's good friend, Bella, and her mom, Alisa, who live up the hill form us.


Lia's other close, neighborhood friend, Alyssa, and her mom, Sheri.


Lia reading her note to me after we started the program.


The girls working on answering the questions about their mothers.


Lia making a funny face after getting stuck on one of the game questions.  I am proud to say that she actually won the game by getting 14 out of the 15 questions correct!  She's always been good with details. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment