Thursday, June 14, 2018

Pirate at Play!

My mom came down for the second week in a row today to help me with the weeding in my yard which is always so overwhelming every Spring. She showed up today with two boxes of old Halloween costumes that she has been storing in her basement for the past several decades. She decided it was time to either pass them on to the next generation or donate them to Goodwill. As my mom started pulling out the various costumes, I felt like I was like watching her pull items out from a time capsule. So many of these costumes brought back memories from the Halloweens I shared with my brothers. Although there were several things I decided not to keep, we did get a bunch of fun items to add to the dress-up box or to use for later activities when the kids get older. One of the items I just knew I had to keep was the awesome, pirate sword that my parents made years ago for one of my brothers. After my mom traced the sword out on a piece of plywood, she had my dad cut it out with a saw before she painted the handle black and covered the blade with aluminum foil. Since our Logan is still in LOVE with all things pirate, I knew that he would love this sword! After he came home from school, he begged me multiple times to put on a fresh layer of aluminum foil.  I finally found the time after dinner tonight to peel off the old layer of foil and put on a new one.  He then proceeded to run around the backyard for a good half hour with his beloved sword in hand while I washed the dinner dishes.  I just kept on smiling to myself every time I looked out the window above the kitchen sink and saw him streaking across the yard with his sword in hand.  It just made me so happy to see him enjoying something that has been boxed up for so many years.  Oh, how I just love this pirate-loving boy of mine!


Logan smiling for me when I came outside to take his picture.


And he's off!  My pirate and his sword.

No comments:

Post a Comment