Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Camping at Blake Island

We sadly wrapped up our final adventure of the summer yesterday with our annual trip to Blake Island over Labor Day weekend.  I know that I have said this before, but this is one of my favorite things to do every summer.  I love Blake Island.  It is such a fun and beautiful place for a family getaway and I am so grateful to Chris for making this camping trip possible  Since I would be camping with all four kids alone, I went back and forth before making the decision to try to spend the night in a tent without Ron.  After having the worst camping experience of my mothering career the summer I camped on Blake Island when Logan was a baby, I decided not to try it the summer that Ella was a baby.  Instead, I took all three kids out just for the afternoon and evening and we drove back home late that night after Chris took us back to the boat lunch.  However, after thinking it over, I decided to give a try this summer since Lia, Logan, and Ella are so much older and I am so glad that I decided to just go for it as everyone slept great in the tent including Emmett.  Lia, Riley, and Callie were a huge help in setting up and tearing down our tent while my mom and Natalee helped out with the baby.  Overall, it really wasn't that much more work compared to other years and I am so glad that we spent the night as Monday turned out to be a such a beautiful day.  We enjoyed staying out on the island until after lunch time before heading back to Chris' house for our annual dinner of freshly caught crab and spaghetti.  The kids and I had a great time staying at Chris' until it was time to head home at bedtime.  As always, it was just a wonderful way to finish off our marathon summer of 2019!


The weather was so warm on Sunday after we arrived on the island in the afternoon that all three kids put on their swimsuits and ventured out into the freezing water.  Here is Logan play with a stick he found floating in the water.


Chris pulled out the innertube from the boat for the kids and him to float around on.  It was so funny to see them all piled on top of each other.


The group giving me a smile.


Natalee, Emmett, and I enjoyed watching the gang from the beach.


Both Callie and Riley were a huge help watching Emmett throughout our stay since I couldn't just put him down on the ground while I got things done.  Here is Callie watching Emmett while he tried to sit in a little camping chair (without falling out of it) while I made dinner.


A close-up of our cutie on his second camping trip of his life.


Trenton, Ella, and Logan playing on the seesaw that has been on the island for years.


Riley, Lia, Emmett, and Callie relaxing in the campground while dinner was cooking.


The kids and me enjoying our foil dinners.


The gang eating dinner together in our campsite.


We made banana boats for dessert and Logan and Ella got marshmallow all over their faces.


We had to take a few family pictures out on the beach as the sun was setting.  Here is a cute one that Callie managed to snap of us.


An adorable close-up shot of Emmett.


Another family photo while sitting on the driftwood.


Riley in repose.


Logan, Trenton, and Ella playing on the giant, fallen tree Monday morning after breakfast.


Another shot of the kids on the tree.


Chris got the kids to play Bocce ball after breakfast.


Natalee and grandma watching on from the campsite.


As per tradition, the kids and I ran over to Tillicum Village to take advantage of some free clam chowder after the Argosy boat arrived with all of the tourists.  Here are the kids and me standing in front of the large lodge.


And a close-up of the group.


The kids standing in front of the Argosy.


Patiently waiting to blend in with the tourists to get our clam chowder.


The kids and I sipping away while sitting on the stairs.


We all enjoyed a morning round at the beach during low tide.  Since it was so warm again, all of the kids put their swimsuits back on again to play in the sand...


and swim in the freezing cold water!


Trenton, Riley, and Lia running out into the Puget Sound.


Logan joining the group.


The kids walking back to the shore after going completely under the water.


After everyone else had gone into the water, Ella decided to take a turn all on her own.  I couldn't believe it when she ran out and dunked herself completely under the water.  She is by far the bravest, 5-year old we have had in our family!


Ella running out of the water wet from head to toe.


Ella frolicking in the water at low tide.


Ella watching Uncle Chris make a giant, sandcastle while getting warmed up in a beach towel.


Baby Emmett enjoying some time on my lap while watching the older kids play on the beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment