Wednesday, May 11, 2022

A Happy Birthday/Mother's Day!

Like in previous years, Mother's Day landed yet again on my birthday.  I must admit, I am not the biggest fan of this as mothers of children still living at home usually spend every day of the year taking care of other people except for two days that they get "off--their birthday and Mother's Day.  So when these two days fall on the same day, it's a bit of a bummer.  However, Ron managed to find the time and summon the energy to really try to make this weekend feel like we were celebrating two different events which I really appreciated.  On Friday night, May 6th, we left Lia in charge of the kids and actually went out on a date (gasp!) to the Brazilian steakhouse in Tacoma since I had given him a gift card to this restaurant for Christmas that we had never used.  After coming back home fully stuffed that evening, he pulled out cupcakes from my favorite bakery in town and the kids (except for Logan who was at soccer practice) and Ron sang "Happy Birthday" to me before eating most of them all up.  On Saturday, May 7th, Ron took all four kids shopping with him for flowers for the outside pots and other birthday gifts.  As a result, I had about four hours to myself on Saturday morning which is absolutely unheard of.  After they returned home from shopping, I enjoyed a nap while Ron got the kids to help him plant all of the flowers.  On Sunday, May 8th, Ron and the kids made me a delicious breakfast before church and watched me open up my Mother's Day gifts.  After church and another afternoon nap, the kids and Ron made a fabulous steak dinner with several sides and spoiled me again with a red velvet cake from a bundt cake bakery in town.  Ron then had me finish off the evening by opening my birthday gifts and reading several cards.  It really was a wonderful weekend and I am so grateful for the love that my family showed me!


The kids getting ready to sing "Happy Birthday" to me on Friday night after Ron and I returned home from our dinner out.


Blowing out the candles with Ella and Emmy at my side.


The kids and me enjoying Sunday morning breakfast.


The kids watching me open my Mother's Day gifts after breakfast.


Reading one of my cards.


The children and I all dolled up and ready to head to church on Mother's Day morning.


In keeping with tradition, my mom and I chose a sunny day close to my birthday for her to come down and take the kids and me out to a picnic lunch at a park.  Since we have been having an almost nonstop string of raining days, we were lucky to be blessed with beautiful weather on May 11th.  Sadly, this was Lia's first year that we didn't pull her out of school since she was taking the SBA test today and it really is just getting too difficult for her to miss school.  So, after checking Logan and Ella out of school, we drove up to Edgewood to spend almost two hours as the incredible, new park that Ron discovered last month.  We had such a fun time enjoying lunch and dessert and playing at this new park. 


The three "littles" and me enjoying our strawberry shortcake dessert that mom prepared for us.


Ella on top of the massive climbing structure that also spins around.


Logan coming down one of the slides.


Emmy looking so stylish in his shades while carefully climbing across the wires.


The boys enjoying the awesome, double swing together.


Ella cruising down the zip line.


The boys playing on the tractor.

No comments:

Post a Comment