Sunday, May 22, 2022

Ella's Baptism Day

After months of waiting, Ella finally was baptized yesterday and officially became a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.  Needless to say, she was so excited for this big day and would squeak with excitement every time she or I would bring it up this past week.  We had been working on a daily baptism preparation program every day for the past three weeks.  The two of us would sit down and read and discuss one aspect of baptism or another every morning.  I think this really helped her to understand the commitment that she was making.  In addition, since our stake primary presidency has not resumed hosting monthly baptisms for 8-year old children in the stake since everything was shut down over two years ago due to the pandemic, I was in charge of every aspect of her baptism.  Although this was a little overwhelming and exhausting on the heels of the busiest birthday season of my mothering career, I summoned up enough energy to plan this baptism up to my standards and I loved how it all turned out.  Although it is a lot more work, I now see the benefit of having a personal and private baptism that is completely centered around the child being baptized.  My family helped out with various parts of the baptism (prayers, talks, musical number, etc) and it really turned out to be a special day.  After the baptism, we hosted my family for a luncheon and the cousins and uncles all enjoyed playing in the backyard on the beautiful sunny day that we woke up to yesterday after a very rainy and wet week.  Overall, the entire affair went really smoothly and Ella really felt special, loved, and happy.  I am so proud of her for making this big step in her life and can't wait to see what important choices she continues to make in the years to come!


Ella loved wearing the beautiful, white dress I bought for her years ago before she was even born!  She also wore the same hair clip, baptism bracelet, and white shoes that Lia did when she was baptized six years ago.


Although Ella was able to open up one of her gifts (a white towel with the letters CTR embroidered on it) before her baptism Saturday morning, she had to wait until her party to open up the rest.  Here she is standing in front of her presents holding the darling, "stuffed bear" that her friend, Amelia, gave her for her birthday.  Amelia's mom folded, rolled ,and tied this towel in such a way that it looked like a little teddy bear.  As a result, Ella ended up having two white towels for her baptism.


Ella posing in the fancy chair in our living room.  I have an identical picture of Lia posed like this on her baptism day.


Since I was in charge of Ella's entire baptism day, I decided to add a few extra touches that the stake primary presidency never would do.  In addition, I decided to decorate the tables in the kitchen and dining room with white and silver stars to represent the heavenly aspect of Ella's baptism.  After one of my brother's rolled his eyes at me, I frankly told him that if I am ever in charge of an event, flowers and balloons are always going to be involved!


Ella posing with some white balloons on our front porch next to the welcome sign she wrote that said, "Welcome to my Baptism After Party!"


Since this baptism was just for Ella, I set up a little table outside the doors to the gym where here program was held.  I bought a beautiful bouquet of white flowers and white balloons and brought our framed pictures from her 8-year old photo shoot wearing her baptism dress.  In addition, I printed out copies of her program that I ordered through etsy.  The entire thing turned out quite cute!


A close-up of Ella's table.


Ella and our family posing outside the church before her baptism.


Daddy and daughter together.


In addition to my parents, Chris' family, and Eric's family attending the baptism, we invited a few of Ella's friends from church to come.  Both Amelia and Madelyn came to support her which was so nice. of them.


The group photo we managed to get before heading home.  Besides grandma and grandpa, Uncle Chris and Aunt Nat came with Riley and Trenton, and Uncle Eric and Aunt Rebecca came with Vivi.  Ella was so happy to have so many family members come to support her.


Mother and daughter.


Ella with her grandparents with whom she loves so much!


While the kids and uncles played in the backyard after we got home, my mom and sister-in-laws helped me put together the final touches on Ella's baptism luncheon.  I served pulled pork sandwiches with deviled eggs, a toss salad, a layered pea salad, chips, watermelon and grapes, and a charcuterie platter of meats, cheeses, crackers, and dip.  We had brownies with vanilla ice cream and homemade chocolate sauce on top for dessert.  Everything turned out delicious and I am so grateful to my mom, Natalee, and Rebecca for all bringing a food item to contribute!


Eric, Chris, Lia, Ella, and Vivi playing on the sports court.


Emmett playing soccer with Riley, Trenton, and Logan (who had just walked out of the picture).


Logan, Riley, Lia, and Trenton enjoying lunch at their table.


Ella smiling at me while eating lunch next to Vivi at her table.


After Chris' and Eric's families left, we all gathered in the living room for Ella to open up her gifts.  Ella's big gift was receiving a beautiful set of scriptures with her name engraved on them.  In addition, we gave her a baptism journal and a baptism pillow case to color.  My parents gave her a darling scripture case that actually looks like a purse!  Here is Ella showing off her new scriptures and case.


Ella opening up another gift with her stuffy in her arms.


Ella posing with her grandma and the scripture case she had just opened up from her.

No comments:

Post a Comment