Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Happy Times in Happy Valley

Seeing as though I had not been to Happy Valley (a.k.a. Utah Valley) for over FIVE years, I jumped at the opportunity to accompany my mother to attend the wedding of a family friend there. Since Lia is still under the age of two and free on a plane, she accompanied us for a very fun and busy weekend doing much and seeing much. Being the closet-sentimental-sap that I am, I had a glorious time taking several trips down memory lane and visiting some very close friends and family members. Plus, my brother, Tip, and his wife, Nat, also were down for the wedding and it was a real treat to be with them sans the "blonde tornado" (as I affectionately call their four very blonde children). As much as I love my nieces and nephews, it is just a rare treat to be with a sibling these days without a child pulling on a sleeve. Overall, it was a glorious weekend and truly memorable for me to introduce a very special place to my daughter...

Ever since Lia went on her second plane ride in September, she has been fascinated with planes. While outside, she will faithfully point them out to me in the sky whenever she sees or hears one. So, you can imagine her excitement on the morning of November 19th, when we went to the SeaTac Aiport to catch our plane to SLC. She couldn't get enough of the window watching and running up and down the corridors while waiting to board our plane. I love this picture as it's almost as though Lia is trying to hug the planes through the window.

After landing and picking up our rental car, my mom, Lia, and I hit Temple Square in downtown SLC for some good ol' sightseeing. We enjoyed strolling around the grounds on a crisp, autumn day and getting a sneak-peak at the endless Christmas decorations that will be fired up the day after Thanksgiving. Here we are in front of the life size nativity scene where Lia was fascinated with all of the animals.

We took Lia up into the Visitor's Center to take a peak at the Christus statue. For some reason, she kept on lifting up her shirt while I was trying to get a photo of her. This was the best one I could get before the shirt when flying up. Such an irreverent and silly child.

A doting mother and child in the shadows of the temple.

There is this circular pedestal on the east side of the temple where many a bride and groom have taken the classic SLC Temple wedding pose. Lia mistook it for a baby-size performing stage and hopped right on it and started doing the silliest poses and facial expressions. She seriously did this for several minutes while my mother and I laughed our guts out. Here are a few of the poses I managed to take of her in between laughs...

And another pose...

And, another. Can anyone say C.O.A.? (if you don't know that acronym, it stands for "Center of Attention." She gets that quality from her father....:-) )

Friday, November 20th, started off with a tour of BYU with Lia, my brother, and his wife. Seeing as though the three of us are all alums of this fine university, we really had a grand ol' time wandering around campus, visiting some of our stomping grounds and checking out some of the changes. We really all have such fond memories of the Brigham Y. Plus, Chris was really on one and spent much of his time monitoring how many of the young, female, coeds were checking him out. He is convinced that he still has what it takes. I'm not so convinced...

Although my old English building is still standing, it is no longer the Humanities building. Instead, a glorious one has been built two buildings down and is something to marvel at! Here is Tip, Lia, and I in front of the fountain that stands in the stunning courtyard of the 4-story beauty. Now, WHY didn't they have this building when I was an English major?! Geez.

We just had to make a stop at the good ol' HBLL (BYU's library) for memory's sake as all three of us spent one too many hours there. Chris and Nat had never seen the addition (with the moving book shelves) and I simply just wanted to see if it smelled the same. Here is our future BYU student getting familiar with the fiction section.

After being penned up in the stroller for most of the morning, I let Lia out to run free amongst the students during passing period with "Nunny" in tow.

Later on Friday, I met with two of my closest buddies, Courtney and Carrie, from my days as a missionary in the grand land of Canada. Although neither one of these soeurs were actual companions of mine, they were kindred spirits from the get-go. We met at Courtney's house in Provo and talked up a storm while our posterity gorged on Red Vines and trashed Courtney's house in the interim.

Our brood: Carrie's three, Courtney's one, and my Lia (rocking out with the drum stick) on some fabulous pea green carpet.

After a much needed slower start on a Saturday and a trip to the Provo Temple during Lia's nap, Lia and I met up with my mom, brother, and SIL, for the evening wedding festivities of our dear friend, Sean, in American Fork (pronounced American Fark). The wedding dinner and reception were held in this really cool, old church building. Lia had the time of her life running around like a wild child the entire time. Needless to say, I did not last til it ended as that girl wore me out long before then!

This picture perfectly captures my out-of-control daughter as she sprints up one of the flights of stairs. Check out those crazy, flushed, pink cheeks?

My family and a very sweaty me (due to my endless attempts at catching my daughter) in the reception hall.

This picture perfectly sums up how Lia feels about my brothers. For some reason, she is not the biggest fan of this contingent. I'm going to blame it on my brother, Eric, who traumatized her at a young age by hurling her into the air. She has never trusted the three of them (as they all kind of look alike).

Here Lia and I are the next day with my beloved Aunt Lois and Uncle Boyd who hosted my mother and me for the weekend. They were my parents-away-from-home during my years at the Y. It was so nice to be able to spend the weekend with them and get Lia acquainted with them. She got very good at saying, "Bye bye Boyd," and "Bye bye Lois" by the end of our time there.

Sunday, November 22nd, found me at the home of Melissa, my dear friend from my study abroad in Jerusalem way back in 1996. This girl is one adventurous spirit and was the perfect match for me during that wild summer we spent in the Holy Land. All I have to say is that climbing the Giza Pyramids with someone is the kind of thing that bonds you for life! I thoroughly enjoyed talking the evening away with Mel and her hilarious hubby, Travis, and meeting her two girls, Harper and Norah, for the first time.

My mom, Lia, and I flew out on Monday, November 23rd, after a slow morning. Since my aunt is a piano player and teacher extraordinaire, Lia thoroughly enjoyed getting in her first official piano lessons that weekend. Here she is at Aunt Lois' side where she was seriously entertained for a good hour before saying goodbye that morning.

4 comments:

  1. Ha! I can totally relate to two things on this entry: going to the HBLL to see if it still smelled the same (and yes it did and it was comforting) and then wishing they had that humanities building when WE were there. Do they have a computer lab that stays open all night? Because if so, I'm sure we would have been there...
    Looks like a fun trip! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and your little Lia has stolen my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea you were going to Utah! When did this come up? We had so much fun being in Utah in July and reliving all our college memories! And yes, it's so great when they are still free. Enjoy these last 3 free months!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey - you know Courtney & Melissa? Melissa grew up in La Canada with me, and Courtney and Christopher are good friends of ours here in Provo now. How funny to see both their pictures in the same post! Next time you're in Utah we have to get together. Lia is such a doll!

    ReplyDelete