Sunday, November 1, 2009

"Little Red" and Halloween...

Well, I'm happy to report that Halloween '09 was a success in the Hartland. Lia was the cutest thing on the block in her Little Red Riding Hood costume and loved every minute of the evening. Last Halloween, she was only eight months old and was basically clueless to the festivities around her. But, this year was the complete opposite. I think she really was aware of how adorable she was in her little outfit and thoroughly enjoyed prancing around in it while getting attention and receiving free candy. Before we set out for the various events on our night's agenda, I took my "Little Red" out for a quick photo shoot in the front yard. She actually behaved herself for quite a few photos before discovering the absolute thrill that one feels while running around with a hooded head and a basket in hand.

Lia with her new found friend, Jack.

Lia petting jack. I just love this picture!

I'm sorry, but do they get cuter than this?!

A streaking Lia on the driveway.

Ron and I dressed up as a Chinese doll and warrior. Here are Lia and I on the front steps before heading to our dinner party. I still can't get over how much I look like my mom with that wig on!

Our friend's, the Nelsons, hosted a little Halloween dinner party before the trick-or-treating portion of the evening. They made delicious fish tacos that both we and our other friends, the Jacobsens, contributed to. Besides making an appropriate "frog eyed salad," I tried a pumpkin spice cake recipe and decorated it like a pumpkin. Although it didn't look as good as the picture in the magazine (does it ever?!), I think it tasted pretty good.

The Chinese warrior and the apple of his eye waiting for dinner.

I know that I have already included enough pics of Lia, but I snapped this outside of Nelson's door and thought it was just too cute with her little tongue sticking out!

The Jacbobsens have a daughter, Kaylee, who is three months younger than Lia. Due to the age difference, Lia has always had a bit of a physical advantage over her which hasn't always been a good thing. Over the months, we have found Lia pulling Kaylee's hair and attempting to gouge out an eyeball. So, is it any wonder that this is the worried look that Kaylee is giving her as Lia reaches over to touch her pony tail?! And, don't those two girls just look too precious all dressed up in their Halloween finery?

The kids all dressed up and ready to go!

After dinner, we all headed over to attend our church's trunk-or-treat activity in the church's parking lot. We got there a little late and only caught the last few minutes of it. Whoops. Here is Lance and Megan's car getting attacked by a swarm of trick-or-treaters!

The Hartland fam.


Although Lia isn't fully versed in candy (how long can I pull that one off?!), she did get a big kick out of carrying her little trick-or-treat bag that was compliments of a doting Lola. She spent most of the time running, dancing, and twirling around the parking lot. After we packed up from that affair, we made it back to our neighborhood. Ron manned the door while I took Lia out trick-or-treating around our cul-de-sac. She really got into it after learning that she could get up close and personal with several cats and dogs behind our neighbors' doors. After a few houses, she started requested, "more, after leaving each house. I will never forget looking down at my side to see my sweet, little daughter confidently walking down the sidewalk in her Little Red Riding Hood get-up while holding my hand. It's one of those moments that I froze in my mind forever....

5 comments:

  1. Adoreable! I loved that you guys dressed up too. We talked about it, but never actually got around to doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lia looked so cute and sweet. What a great costume idea. I wish my girls would like to dress up in girly outfits. It's so fun the first time they trick or treat. Weston was SO into it this year, he totally ran to each house and was excited to eat all the candy! He was a race car driver (one of Sterling's old costumes)

    I Loved your cake! What did you use for the green stem? WAs it a piece of cake? It looked fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I remember that costume! Yes she looks absolutely adorable. With her dark hair I think Snow White should be next. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where on earth did you find a chinese dress that fits your 5'10" frame? They don't make chinese women that tall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute little red riding hood!! Lisa, you look good with dark hair! So fun that you all dressed up.

    ReplyDelete