Thursday, March 31, 2011

A Momentous Day for Me...

Before I became a mother, I had a couple of preconceived notions about how things were done (or weren't done) in the world of mommydom. One of these notions was that it was the mother's fault if her child was still wearing diapers past the age of three. This is where reality came into my life and taught me a humbling lesson...

No matter how hard I tried to get Lia to buy into potty training, I couldn't get her to do it. We dove in head first when she was almost two years old and again when she was just two and half years old. Both 10-day stints resulted in lots of messes on the floor that I had the good fortune of cleaning up and a constipated child. So, I hung it up this past fall.

However, with the new year came new year's resolutions. After the pacifier was miraculously pulled from her life in January, Ron was ready to try round #3 of potty training. For apparent reasons, I dragged my feet for many weeks, but a miracle happened on the afternoon of Sunday, March 20th. I walked into our house after being gone for a few hours at a church meeting to find Ron and Lia sitting face to face on our two potties in the downstairs bathroom. Within a matter of seconds, Lia successfully did her thing in her little toilet. As one can imagine, there was much clapping and screaming and hugging and doling out of rewards. The princess panties immediately went on and Lia has not looked back since. We are now on day #12 with NO ACCIDENTS (well, pee pee that is)! I couldn't be more thrilled.

So, today was a big day for me. After a final, thorough washing and bleaching, I happily packed up two boxes of cloth diapers that I have used faithfully since Lia turned six months old. That's right, with the exception of bed time, our weekly trip to church, and most vacations, we have been cloth diapering in the Hartland. As my saying goes, I've been "saving the earth one diaper at a time" and also saving a few dollars along the way. Regardless of the perks, I was one happy camper today when I carried the boxes up into our attic to store for the next baby who I hope and pray joins our family one of these days.

Until then, I will enjoy my diaper free world...

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the potty training! I haven't even started with Faith. I have the mentality of waiting as long as possible. You've inspired me, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow great job! If it makes you feel any better, Sterling and Weston weren't fully potty trained till right after their fourth birthday's! Rylie was right about 3 and Alexis about 2 1/2. I guess every child is different. I bet Lia has a lot of satisfaction in picking out those princess panties! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an exciting day! So great when they get potty trained! Mine were all right around their 3rd bdays when they decided it was time. I think we all think things will be a certain way until we actually have kids. I've said that I either would or wouldn't do all kinds of things & now I eat humble pie all the time :)

    ReplyDelete