Monday, May 30, 2011

The Big Girl Bed!

Well, the day has finally arrived! Lia turned in her crib this morning for her first ever, big girl bed! It's hard to believe. I know that I pushed this event off waaaay longer than lots of other mothers, but I just didn't see the need. Lia loved her crib and never even tried to climb out of it til after her third birthday. However, when that day did arrive, I realized it was time to make the transition, but it wasn't as easy as one might think as I made the goal of making her bedspread/quilt by hand with the help of my mother. So after heading up to Issy once a week for about eight weeks, I finally finished it last week. We then had to buy the linens and things, purchase a mattress and bunkie board, take down the crib, and paint the 40-year old headboard and footboard that came from my grandparents' Lake Samm cabin. But we finished it all up today! It feels good to have a project checked off the list and to be pleased with the end product.


We let Lia help us with the first of four coats of paint on Saturday in the garage. As one can imagine, she was thrilled that she was allowed to assist with this! The sentimental part of me loves that this old bed is getting a "second life" with Lia. I'd like to think that her great-grandparents (especially her frugal, great-grandpa) are smiling down on our us today.



Working hard.


Our focused painter.


I had to document Lia's last night in her crib. When we first put her in her crib, she looked so tiny. By the time we took the crib apart, her body stretched from top to bottom!


Cheese!


And, ta-dah! Here is the finished product! I think it looks pretty cute in Lia's pink and green room. Thank you, mom, for all of the hours you devoted to helping me with this project.


The big girl posing for a pic on the big girl bed!


Lia settling in for the inaugural nap today after lunch. She was pleased as punch to be in her new bed and didn't even get out of bed once before falling asleep!

1 comment: