Thursday, October 3, 2013

First Day of School, Part 2

A week ago today I had NO idea that I would be writing this post, but a series of events in the past few days caused Lia to start all over today at a new elementary school.  So, today was officially her second first day of school this year.  After watching Lia walk off with her CRAZY, wild, and disruptive Kindergarten class on Monday morning, I hit a wall.  I walked home, picked up the phone, and called the other elementary school down the hill that she would have gone to had we not moved.  After explaining our situation to a very nice secretary, she explained that all three Kindergarten classes were full and that we would need to wait until next fall to start Lia at that school.  However, she did state that she would ask the principal and then call me back.  I hung up the phone feeling at peace with this situation since I really did not want to rip Lia out of her school after she had already fallen in love with her teacher and gotten used to her class, their routines, and the overall school layout.  But to my surprise, the secretary called me back a few minutes later and announced that the principal had amazingly given permission for Lia to be placed in one of the morning classes!  I was so shocked!  After a whirlwind day of talking to several people, driving to the school to pick up a form, and explaining the change to Lia, we made the big jump today.  Lia was heartbroken at first to be leaving her teacher and the group of church kids from the neighborhood who she walks to school with each day, but she eventually started to warm up to the idea...especially after meeting her new teacher in person Tuesday afternoon and seeing that the entire classroom was decorated in under-the-sea theme.  It was meant to be!  And so this morning, I dropped Lia off at school along with her good friend, Molly, who also transferred from her old Kindergarten class.  Both girls were placed in the different morning classes, but the good news is that there is a friend from their old preschool in both of them!  So they already have a friend in each class which both Molly's mom and I are so grateful for.  And, so, we are off on a new adventure....one that I hope and pray will be a better one for my daughter.


A slightly nervous and excited Lia standing in front of her new school.
 

 
Lia embracing Addyson, her preschool buddy from last year, who was already waiting for her in line!

2 comments:

  1. Way to go Mom! Doing what is right for your child can be sooooo hard. :-) So glad it all worked out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job lisa. Been there done that. When you know, you know.

    ReplyDelete