Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Done.

This past summer, we let Lia watch the first and second Harry Potter movies with a somewhat edited version of each of the endings.  As a result, she fell in love with the story and asked one day in August if we could begin reading the first book.  Somewhat skeptical that a five-year old could understand and follow such a long story, we began reading it to her each night before bed.  We basically made the transition from Fancy Nancy and other books with very little text and a lot of picture on each page to a full-blown novel over night.  And to my surprise, Lia loved it!  She was totally entranced by the entire thing and easily followed along each night, asking for clarification on new words, pointing out differences between the novel and the book, and commenting on this, that, and the other thing!  Who knew?!  And less than two months later, we finished the first book last night.  It was a very positive experience for all of us and I just enjoyed rereading one of my favorite books years later to one of my favorite people.  Here's to starting book #2 tonight!


1 comment:

  1. One of the things I love about reading my favorites with the kids is that you have to slow down and really take in each word. I love how I notice all sorts of new ideas, descriptions, etc. of these books on my own and with through the kids questions. (Book of Mormon was huge this way - reading it with a child and trying to explain it all = simply amazing!). :-)

    ReplyDelete