Friday, May 18, 2018

Girl Scouts and Pillows

I was asked a few months ago by Lia's Girl Scout troop leader to be in charge of an activity where the girls could earn a sewing patch.  I agreed and the leader promptly gave me some adorable, Girl Scout fabric that she had bought years ago and never done anything with it since she doesn't know how to sew.  I recruited the help of my mom, the sewing expert in my life, and we set the date for May 19th.  After discussing what kind of pillow we wanted to have the girls sew, my mom kindly agreed to cut the fabric in advance and come down to our house to help with the actual activity.  With a little planning, four sewing machines, and the help of the mothers, I am happy to say that we had a very successful activity this evening.  All eight of the girls pinned, sewed, and stuffed their pillows with very little problems and all of them were able to make an adorable pillow to take home with them.  It made me realize how I really should give Lia more opportunities to learn how to sew so that she can begin developing this fun and very useful skill to use the rest of her life!


The girls pinning the two sides of their pillows together before they began sewing.


Lia and Sienna concentrating on pinning.


Lia, Sienna, and Kensi giving me a smile.


Mollie, Lilah, and Addy pausing from their pinning for a picture.


We assigned two girls to every sewing machine which worked out really well.  I intentionally told Lia to work with her grandma which I thought was the cutest thing.


Grandma showing Lia how to sew the first side of her pillow.


Ta-dah!  All eight girls showing off their finished product!

No comments:

Post a Comment