Monday, February 10, 2020

Logan's 8th Birthday!

A few months ago, Ron suggested that we forgo friend birthday parties this year in lieu of a family trip to Great Wolf Lodge.  Since I have faithfully been hosting friend parties since Lia was five years old, I jumped at the idea and was relieved to hear that the children were on board, too!  Luckily, our midwinter break falls during the one weekend between Logan's birthday and Lia's birthday, so it seemed to be the logical time to go.  As a result, I got online and made our reservations back in the fall.  After thinking about it and talking it over with Ron, we decided to give Logan and Lia each a special treat at Great Wolf Lodge (MagiQuest for Logan and the ropes course for Lia) so that Ella could still have a little friend birthday party this Spring.  Since I already have Little Mermaid decorations, etc. left over from Lia's birthday party many years ago, I really wanted to throw Ella one more princess-themed birthday party for her before she started to outgrow princesses.
So, with that decision made, I decided to 'beef up' Logan's family party a little more than normal by putting out some pirate decorations and inviting my brother Chris and his family to join us since Trenton is Logan's best friend after all.  We also decided to host Logan's birthday party a day early so that we could have it on a Sunday evening when everyone did not have to drive through rush hour traffic and have conflicts with after school activities.  Of course, Logan was more than thrilled to get his birthday presents one day early!  Here are some pictures of his special day yesterday!


We started off our slow Sunday morning with our traditional waffles with whipped cream and pancakes.  Here is Logan waiting for us to sing 'Happy Birthday' to him.


Our birthday boy getting ready to blow out the candles.


After church and a lazy afternoon (for everyone except me who worked the entire time preparing for the party), the guests arrived at 5 o'clock.  I had made Logan a white birthday cake with an awesome edible cake image of Captain Jack Sparrow on top.


I decorated both of the tables with black table clothes, fish net, pirate coins, and jewels.  I then had Logan bring down several of his pirate items to place down the center of both of the tables.  I also ordered Pirates of the Caribbean plates, napkins, and cups for us to eat off of in addition to several balloons that we tied to the chairs.  It was a much simpler decor than I normally do for friend parties, but it still made the evening feel festive.  Here is a picture of the adult table.


A picture of the kids' table.


Logan requested the following food items for his birthday dinner:  ham, homemade mac 'n cheese, deviled eggs, broccoli, apples, and fruit punch.  I added a few other items to the menu and it turned out to be quite good.  Here are the kids posing for me while eating their dinner.


Trenton, Logan, and Lia eating away.


A close-up of the birthday boy.


After dinner, we moved into the family room to open presents.  Logan was so excited!


Logan opening up his first birthday gift with baby Emmett at his side.


His first gift was a Star Wars D-O remote control droid.  This was the #1 gift that Logan wanted and he was so thrilled to open it up!


Ever since we went to Hawaii summer of 2018, Logan has been begging for his own snorkel set which he finally got.  It will be perfect for him to use this spring break when we are back in Maui again.


Baby Emmett flashing me one of the cutest smiles.


Trenton, Ella, Riley, and Lia watching Logan open up his gifts.  These four kids, plus Logan, are really the 'younger pack' of cousins on my side of the family and I am so grateful that they have each other to grow up with as so many of their cousins are much older than them.


Emmett trying on Logan's new shark tie from grandma and grandpa.


Logan opening up Trenton's gift.


Logan getting ready to be sung to for a second time yesterday.


Blowing out all eight candles.


Since I am usually the one behind the camera at all of my children's birthday parties, I requested that Lia take a picture of the two of us.  Oh, how I just love this boy of mine.


After cake and ice cream, all the guests left around 8 p.m. I let Logan stay up until almost 10 p.m so that he could start building a Lego set and play with his new remote control droid.  Although today was his actual birthday, the only thing special that Logan got to do was bring pirate-themed cupcakes that I had made to share with his class.  Here is our boy ready to head off to school with his treats.  After school and Ella's ballet class and Lia's voice lesson, we decided that it would be fun to pick up Chick -fil-A to bring home for a second, birthday dinner...so that is what we did.  It was a fun way to finish off Logan's special day!  Happy Birthday, Logie Boy!  I can't believe that you are now 8 years old, but I am so very grateful that you joined our family eight years ago.  You have brought such joy, laughter, and fun into our family over the years and we love you so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment