Sunday, August 2, 2020

The Third Time was NOT a charm!


Well, the old adage, "Third time's a charm," did not prove to be the case when it came to our family trip to Hawaii for 2020.  After cancelling our Spring Break trip in April and our summer trip in July, Ron and I decided to try one more time and scheduled a third trip for the first week in August.  Although Ron normally goes back to work full time on August 1st, he asked for permission from his boss to take this week off as our last chance to go to Hawaii before school starts the beginning of September.  After spending several hours a third time rescheduling our condo and car rental and rebooking our plane tickets, we waited for the Hawaiian governor's announcement regarding his plan for the month of August.  Much to our surprise, the governor announced the end of June that starting August 1st, the 14-day quarantine would be lifted for anyone arriving in Hawaii who could show proof of a negative result from a Covid-19 test performed 72 hours prior to their arrival.  We couldn't believe our luck as we were scheduled to fly to Hawaii on August 2nd--just one day after this new exception was to be made.  
So for the next few weeks, our family started to really get excited about going to Hawaii as we started to make plans about the things we wanted to do and the places we wanted to go during our eight days in Maui.  It seemed that we were finally going to get a break after months and months of so many things being cancelled.  But it apparently it wasn't meant to be.  Due to the massive spike in Covid-19 cases that started to pop up all over the United States in July due to too many states loosening up on their restrictions too soon, the Hawaiian governor changed his mind on July 13th and called the whole thing off by extending the 14-day quarantine through September 1st.  I was so shocked when I read the headline on my computer that evening.  And just like that our trip was cancelled a third time. And unlike the previous two times, I did not reschedule our trip again.  I honestly feel like a child who has had her hand slapped too many times while trying to reach into the cookie jar to get a cookie.  I have finally been beat down enough times that I am going to stop trying.  We will not be planning any more big, family trips that involve plane travel until this virus is under control and until we can make plans again without government leaders cancelling them on us.  
I honestly am so tired and worn out by now that I have stopped caring as much about going on trips and making big plans for our family.  I am so tired of not having control over so many things on our calendar that I used to be able to control for the most part.  I just feel so beat down that I have started to let it all go.  2020 just wasn't our year.  I don't think that 2020 was really anyone's year.  And so with all of that said, I encouraged Ron to plan a last minute camping trip during this week that we were supposed to be in Hawaii.  As a result, he ended up leaving this morning with the three older children to try to get a campsite in a beautiful campground on Hood Canal that my family stayed at a few times when I was growing up.  Emmett and I were supposed to join them this time around, but after hitting a tired wall like no other yesterday after a very busy and exhausting week at home after a very tiring week at Priest Lake, I decided to stay home with the baby and get some well-needed rest before I head back up to Priest Lake alone with the kids this coming Saturday.  I am hoping and praying that Ron secures a campsite today and that I can actually take a nap while Emmett takes his afternoon nap.  We shall see...

No comments:

Post a Comment