Sunday, October 10, 2010

Sand Castles and Such...

Yesterday, Lia and I dodged some rain showers and headed up to Federal Way where we met my brother and sis-in-law and their kiddos to attend The World Championship Sand Sculpting contest. Apparently, this sandy event happens once a year, but has never been held on domestic soil. So, lucky for us that it actually landed in a town only a few minutes away for its first U.S. appearance. We spent a fun filled hour gawking and gazing at the many different sand creations before the rain sent us running! Thanks, Rebecca, for including us in your Saturday morning excursion!

Lia and me with her cousins, Mr. B and Vivi, in front of a sculpture paying homage to our mother city. I wasn't supposed to be in this photo, but Lia refused to be put down!

The sand sculpture that impressed me the most. Look at that detail!

Lou hanging out with Mr. Elephant.

This is a close-up of a statue of a woman surrounded in a fruit. I just couldn't get over how perfect her face is. HOW do that do that?! This is sand, not stone!

As Lia and I were wandering through the "aisles," she stopped in front of this sculpture of a lady intertwined in ivy. She was absolutely mesmerized by her! I didn't realize that she had fallen behind me until I was a few sculptures down and looked over my shoulder and saw this precious sight above. Lia asked me to take a picture of her and has probably requested to see it 20 times since then.

Lia's favorite: "the lady with her hair going way up high."

And, of course, this post wouldn't be complete without a pic of at least one sandcastle! Isn't' that a beauty?!

2 comments: