Thursday, May 21, 2015

Boy at Play!

On the night that Lia has gymnastics, Logan, Ella, and I normally watch her for about 30 to 45 minutes before returning home to make and eat dinner.  Ron then picks her up on his way home from work at 6:30 and the two of them come home for a later dinner that they eat by themselves.  However, since Logan recently developed an aversion to all things meat and vegetable, he now chooses to wait until "Papa and Wee-uh" get home from gymnastics to eat dinner with them.  Today, after we got home, I immediately started cooking and Logan went into the family room and started playing.  Although he has been playing alone for many months now, it normally involves banging on things with hammers or scattering an entire bin of toys on the floor or knocking down a tower he has just built.  His independent play has not quite graduated to the more sophisticated style of his older sister as he doesn't quite have the maturity to sit down and act out a story with a plot line and conversation.  Since I was so busy making dinner, I didn't notice what Logan was doing in the other room until I sat down with Ella to eat and noticed that he was quietly talking to himself (which is unusual).  I looked up and found him standing by the book shelf where he had lined up several of his trains and cars both on the second shelf and on the floor.  He was then picking up one at a time and driving it down my yard stick that he was using as a pretend bridge while quietly talking the entire time.  This entire thing just caught me off guard as I have never seen Logan play like this.  As I previously mentioned, this type of play is just too sophisticated and mature for him.  I just had to take a moment to pause and watch my boy as it was the cutest thing to see him play like this.  It gave me some hope that one day he WILL out grow this wild, destructive, and temperamental toddler stage that he has been reveling in for over a year now.  Only time will tell...


Logan putting another train on the "track."


And driving it down the bridge.


Logan finishing if off and discovering the camera and me!

No comments:

Post a Comment