Saturday, January 11, 2020

1 Year Old Today!


Well, I can't believe it.  It actually happened.  Baby Emmett turned one year old today!  Ahhhh!  I know I have said it before, but it is all going way too fast.  The past six months of his life have just flown by.  I honestly feel like we just started school again in the fall.  I have a sinking hunch that Emmett's entire life is going to fly by this fast.  As a result, I am grateful for these moments when I am required to sit down and reflect on the past month of his life. Emmett has continued to grow and progress a lot this past month.  The biggest news is that he started walking.  He took his first steps to grandma on Christmas Eve and we managed to get some of it on video.  It was so cute and such a fun Christmas treat for all of us.  Since then, Emmett continues to take steps several times a day usually between pieces of furniture or between two people.  He definitely still prefers crawling as his main mode of transportation, but can take up to 10 to 15 steps if he is focused and on a roll. Emmett also started pointing to the pictures on the wall of our stairwell.  Ron has been stopping to point out who is who on our gallery wall every time the two of them walk down the stairs for quite some time now.  Although I have never really done this with Emmett, he suddenly pointed to them with his little index finger the other week while we were walking down the stairs.  It totally surprised me!  He will now point at the pictures every time we walk down together--even when I forget to stop.  Emmett also started waving "bye bye" when we were up at Priest Lake together after Christmas.  I picked him up to leave the family room and said goodbye to a bunch of people who were hanging out in the room.  Emmett heard me say 'goodbye' and started waving to everyone all on his own.  Once again, I was so surprised!  He now will wave all the time whenever we say 'goodbye.'  Emmett also started dancing to music and will often times sway back in forth or shake his head when he hears music playing.  It's so cute!  
Emmett continues to be an eating machine and eats every table food that is put on his high chair tray.  We now joke that he eats more on a daily basis than his 5 and 1/2 year old sister!  He continues to take a morning and afternoon nap every day and sleeps between 10 to 11 hours at night.  After the worst sleeping since he was a newborn during our four nights at Priest Lake, I decided that I was DONE nursing him for comfort in the middle of the night.  After we got home, I sent Ron to the basement and have been in the process of trying to sleep train Emmett for the past 1.5 weeks.  I have never picked him up from his crib since I started on the night of January 2nd.  About half of the time when Emmett wakes up crying in the night, he will let me me lay him back down, plug in his pacifier, put his blankets back on him, and turn on the music without a fuss.  However, the rest of the time, he burst into tears when I leave the bedroom.  Most of the time he only cries for 5 to 20 minutes before falling back to sleep.  Luckily, he has only cried for over an hour two different times.  Both of these times, I have gone back in (one time at an hour and another time at an hour and 15 minutes) to get him situated again with his pacifier and blanket and then have rubbed his chest and spoken to him quietly for a few minutes.  He then has let me leave both of these times without making a peep which has been a massive relief for both of us.  I truly hope that we are through the worst of it and that Emmett will be sleeping better in the weeks to come...


Our cute one-year-old giving me a cheeky grin as he crawls off his monthly milestone blanket.


The birthday boy giving me a darling smile while playing with the birthday bows!

No comments:

Post a Comment