Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Finally FOUR Days a Week!

A few weeks ago, I received the following email from our school district...
Needless to say, both Logan and I were thrilled!  Although my life has been significantly easier since Ella returned to school full-time in February, Logan has still been at home doing school with me three days a week since the end of January.  Although Logan and I have definitely gotten into a groove where he completes over 50% of his work independently and finishes each day by lunch time, we both are very tired of it.  Logan desperately wants to return to school full-time and I desperately want my mornings back to focus on Emmett and get some things done.  Although Logan has been very responsible and conscientious during his days at home completing his school work, he definitely prefers in-person school to being stuck at home in front of a computer or working on an assignment at our kitchen table.  It definitely makes my heart ache to watch him skip and run off to school two days a week due to how excited he is to be going back into his school to learn for the day. So, it came as a welcome relief for the two of us to receive this news.
After waiting three weeks, I finally was able to drop Logan off at school today on a Tuesday for the first time in 13.5 months!  It's crazy to think about how long it has been since he has been within the walls of his own school on a Tuesday.  He was so excited to be at school and I was so excited for him.  As grateful as I am that Logan gets to go to school four days a week for the last seven weeks of the school year, there is a part of me that is still very bitter and frustrated with all of this.  First off, why isn't our district allowing these 2nd and 3rd graders to return to school five days a week like the children in Kindergarten and 1st grade?  What on earth are these teachers doing on Mondays that prevents them from teaching in-person?  And why does Logan's teacher get paid for teaching him on Mondays when I am the one that is really doing the work on that one day of the week?  In addition, I strongly feel that Logan should have been going to school part-time in September and full-time since October.  He lost eight out of the ten months of his third grade year due to being forced by our state to have a less-than-stellar, academic experience at home when he should have been getting so much more from in-person instruction at school with his real-live teacher.  So, although I am so happy that Logan gets to finish off his 3rd grade year being at his school 80% of the time, I seriously hope and pray that he will be allowed to return full-time in the Fall.  If not, I'm going to lose it...


My cute, 3rd grader heading off to school this morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment