Thursday, December 1, 2022

An Early Snow Storm

Since it rarely snows here in November, I was shocked to see it on the weather forecast last weekend.  After a light snowfall on both Monday and Tuesday, I thought that the snow storms were over since I didn't watch the news again once the school week had started.  So, much to my surprise, I couldn't believe it when the snow started falling again on Wednesday afternoon right as school was getting out.  It snowed all evening long and we had about three inches of snow on the ground by the time we went to bed last night.  Although it was supposed to snow on and off throughout the night, it sadly did not and so we woke up to the same amount of snow this morning.  Luckily, school was cancelled and so the three younger kids and I went out to play in the snow in our yard and then to go sledding at Lia's junior high school up the hill with Poppy and Daisy.  Although the roads were clear enough for me to take Ella to her piano lesson this afternoon, Logan's chess club and soccer practice were cancelled and so the kids enjoyed a twilight session playing back out in the snow with the neighbor girls until dinner time.  I just loved having this little break from the rush and the roar of life this time of year and for the chance we had to enjoy some early winter snow during the Christmas season!


One of my all-time favorite things is how beautiful Christmas lights look when there is snow on top.  Since it so rarely snows here before Christmas, this is a sight I barely get to see.  As a result, I had to walk up my road last night to take a few pictures of two of my neighbor's trees covered in Christmas lights and snow.  They looked so magical!


The white lights with white snow on top.


Emmett, Logan, and Ella heading out into our untouched backyard at 8:30 this morning.


Ella and Emmett making snow angels.


Ella and Emmett admiring their snow angels once they were done making them.


Emmett taking the sled down our slide.


Ella doing one of her all-time favorite things--eating snow!


Logan making a snow man.


Since there wasn't enough snow on the road to sled down, we tried sledding down the skinny strip of grass between the street and the sidewalk while walking up the hill to Lia's school.


Since there wasn't much snow on the ground, the snow on the sledding hill didn't last long once multiple sledders show up.  Luckily, we were one of the first groups there and got some good runs in before the hill got overrun with people. Here is Ella flying down the hill.


Logan's turn!


The kids climbing back up the hill.


Logan and Emmett taking a turn.  Emmett was so brave and was totally unfazed by how steep this sledding hill is.  Much to my chagrin, he even went down it a few times by himself.


The boys coming to a stop at the bottom of the hill.


After the sledding hill got really crowded, I decided that it was time for us to leave since I worried about Emmett surviving on this big hill with lots of kids.  So, I left with the boys and Ella stayed behind with Poppy and Daisy and their dad.  Apparently, after we left, their dad rounded up a large group of kids to make a giant snowman in the school's football field.  Here is the impressive picture he sent me after the snowman was finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment