Thursday, December 26, 2013

Christmas Report

We wrapped up another Christmas yesterday and I am happy to say that this was the first one in three years that Lia didn't have an awful case of the flu over the holiday season.  Hooray!  Everyone was actually healthy which I was super grateful for.  This was also a special Christmas as it was the first one that Logan was able to really enjoy and appreciate.  We spent Christmas Eve at my parents with Eric's family.  As always, my mom had prepared a delicious turkey dinner with all the fixings.  I just love going to my parents' home on this night.  It really feels and smells like Christmas when I walk through their door.  Afterwards, we had our little Christmas program with the reenactment of the nativity story, the lighting of the Christmas tree, and the singing of several Christmas carols.  We then spent a wonderful Christmas morning at our house--first seeing what Santa brought the children before stopping for a fancy breakfast in the dining room and then gift opening by the tree.  Lia loved all of her Merida, mermaid, and princess gifts.  Logan LOVED his Elmo gifts and his cars and trucks.  We then had a few slow hours before Ron and I worked in the kitchen for quite some time preparing a Filipino feast of rice, lumpia, sinigang, adobo, and dinuguan.  This is a tradition that I started last year and hope to continue for the years to come as it is my way of incorporating Ron's past into our holiday.  We then were joined by my mom (my dad stayed home with a brand new cold) and Eric's family again for more feasting and visiting and cousin-play-time for Lia.  And that sums up our Christmas 2013.  It's hard to believe that we will have another member of our family joining us next year.  So exciting!

 
Logan insisted on going down to the basement of my parents' home the second we arrived to play with grandpa's Lionel trains.  Lia joined them for awhile, too.


The man that makes all of the choo choo magic with my two kiddos.
 

 
Bryce joined us the second he arrived.


The Hartland fam in front of my parent's tree.
 

 
Our smaller group reenacting the nativity story.
 
 
Lia got to play Mary this year for the first time ever and she was very excited about that!

 
Our annual German tradition (from my father's side of the family) of lighting the Christmas tree with real candles.  It's always so beautiful and peaceful.
 
 
Grandpa helping Logan blow out a candle.


Logan playing with two of his favorite toys on Christmas morning--his stuffed Elmo and remote control truck.
 

 
Papa helping Logan open a gift.
 
 
Papa showing Logan one of the Elmo board books he received. 

 
Lia and I getting ready to open another gift.

 
Thanks to the book, Fancy Nancy and the Splendiferous Christmas, Lia got the idea to make her American Girl Doll, Mirabella, a bunch of gifts and wrap them.  We did all of this the day before Christmas Eve as it was the first chance that I had the time to work on this project.  One of the gifts included a quilt that I actually even tied with pink yarn.  It turned out really cute.  So, here is Lia opening up the gift bag with all of the presents while Mirabella looks on.


My two precious children, Logan's new best friend, Elmo, and me at the completion of the gift opening.  What a fun morning!


No comments:

Post a Comment