Friday, May 28, 2021

Remembering my Grandparents

After Ron announced a week or two ago that he was taking Logan to "Man Camp" to help him "man up" over Memorial Day weekend, I realized that I needed to make some plans of my own for the other three kids and me.  Since we didn't have school on Friday, I asked my mom if we could come up and spend the day with them and also spend the night--which is something we haven't done in quite some time.  After one of my kids asked me why we celebrate Memorial Day, it dawned on me that we should stop by my grandparent's grave to pay them "a visit" since they are right on the way to Issaquah.  I am ashamed to admit that I have never made the time to take my children to visit their great-grandparents grave which really is a shame considering how close I was to them during my entire childhood and adolescence.  They were both wonderful grandparents to me and I was so blessed to grow up with them living about 30 minutes away.  After inviting my mom to join us, we met up outside the temple and caravanned the five minutes to their cemetery.  My mom and I both laughed when we learned that the other person had picked white and pink flowers from our yards to lay around my grandparent's headstone.  Although we chose different types of pink flowers (my grandma's favorite color), we both picked white, blossoms from our Dogwood trees which was a fun coincidence.  The children helped us lay the flowers around their headstone before my mom shared a few stories about both of her parents with my kids.  It was a special way to spend the morning teaching my children about a part of the wonderful heritage that they come from.


Lia, Ella, and Emmett laying flowers around their great-grandparents grave.


Ella and Emmett placing some pink flowers around my grandma's name.


A group shot of my kids (minus Logie) and me.


My mom with three of her grandchildren on one side and her parents on the other side!


A shot of my grandparents grave once we were done decorating it.

No comments:

Post a Comment