Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Bathing Under the Sea...

I will be the first to admit that Lia's bathroom was the most uninspiring, sterile, and boring bathroom on the block....until Lola came into town! While my mo-in-law was here, she took us to Kohls for a little shopping spree and we just happened to stumble into the Bed & Bath Department. While there, we found the cutest children's bathroom set for 45% off and it was on a day when Lola had her 15% senior citizen discount. 60% off = all the convincing I needed. So, I ended up purchasing several pieces of this set. Since then, I have been a bit focused on making over this bathroom including painting the walls a pale, aqua blue and crafting away on some wall decor. Take a looksie at the finished product below...

The darling shower curtain that has inspired Lia to learn the words ockey (octopus), whale, shell, and fish.

The bath and hand towels.

I bought these plane, pine mirrors at Ikea and painted them with FIVE coats of yellow and orange. I then used a stencil that my friend, Megan, helped me make to paint the polka dots before spraying it with a clear, acrylic sealer.

I went to Michaels and found these wooden turtle, sun, and fish shapes that I put on the wall with foam mounting tape. The only change I had to make was repainting the shells of the turtles an aqua color to get rid of the nasty, olive-green one that was there previously. Now, if these little guys would quit falling off the walls!

I put this grouping of three above the door.



The tissue and toothbrush holders I couldn't resist.

The friendly mat that greets you after the bath. I tried to match the paint color to the fish's bubbles.

Soap dispenser and accompanying hand towel.

This basket was already in the bathroom and holds Lia's brushes, combs, toothpaste, and washcloths. It just didn't seem to belong after "Under the Sea" moved in. So, I rooted around in my ribbon drawer and found this polka dot ribbon that matched the new look perfectly. Now, Mrs. Basket is part of the family.

The coordinating washcloths with an inspiring message for Lia.

And, of course, this post wouldn't be complete without including la poubelle (garbage en francais)! Look at that adorable can!

6 comments:

  1. what a cute bathroom. Such a good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man that is soooo cute! You've gone above and beyond.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my, what detail! looks like a fun place to take a bath!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never occurred to me to repaint those plane square mirrors from IKEA. Good call...and you have officially switched teams. You are totaly a Supa-hip SAHMommy bloger! You've arrived. Lovely bathroom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Lisa! Where did all this energy come from and can I have some of it? ha ha Lia's bathroom is just so adorable! I love any "under the sea" theme in the bathroom. I've been saying all year that I would do something with my kids bathroom (totally blah off white walls and off white tile and off white countertops...ugh!!!) I bet Lia is just goggling out of her mind with all the sights and stimulus that greet her from the bathroom! ha ha

    PS... Where did DAvid find the time for our attic room? It took over a YEAR!!! Normally he would have had it done in 6 weeks. So we feel like we've been waiting forever. First test block is next week so he is non-existant!

    ReplyDelete