Saturday, September 19, 2009

Do the Puyallup!

Although I grew up in a town only 45 minutes from Puyallup, I never had a reason to come down to the town I currently live in...except maybe once or twice to "Do the Puyallup." If you have no idea what I'm talking about, let me educate you on the Puyallup Fair. My little town proudly boasts the sixth largest fair in the nation and hosts it for three weeks every September. From rides to cotton candy to 4-H competitions to scores of strange looking people, the Puyallup Fair has it all. Now, Ron and I dubbed it the "Puyallup Unfair" our first year living here after discovering how ridiculously overpriced everything is. If it weren't for the free educators' passes that we get every fall, we would probably never go. I mean, who wants to pay $8 for a cookie or $17 for an elephant ear (slight exaggeration made for emphasis)?! However, as a result of our free passes, we ended up at the fair grounds today with Lia to grab some overpriced lunch (for us) and take a gander at the animals (for Lia). Several thousand calories later, we left the fair satisfied that we did the Puyallup. Can't wait till next year...

Heifer Row.

Just couldn't pass this picture up. These "dump"sters are all over the grounds. As you can see, the Puyallup Fair is the epitome of class.

Ogling at the goats.

Lia trying to figure out whether the petting zoo is friend or foe.

Lia learned the word, bubble, in nursery at church the first Sunday in there due to a bubble-making machine they pull out in the second hour. She has been fascinated with them ever since. As a result, we just couldn't pass up the kiosk selling electronic, bubble guns for Lia's benefit (where do they come up with this stuff?!).

What fairs are all about...

1 comment:

  1. How fun! I remember in high school that there was a lot of begging and pleading to get my parents to let me go. I went with Becky one year, that was fun. Still overpriced eh? I bet that Lia loved seeing all the animals!

    ReplyDelete