Thursday, September 3, 2009

Z is for Zoo.

With the last few days of summer quickly coming to an end, we decided to go on a family outing to the local zoo today. It was Lia's first time and she just couldn't get enough. She kept on saying "more" over and over again throughout the afternoon. In fact, when I went to pick her up from her nap this morning before we left, I asked her if she wanted to go to the zoo. Even though we have never really taught/discussed this word with her, she immediately began nodding her head and saying, "zoo," over and over again. This continued all the way there. I tell ya...there is sixth sense that kids have when it comes to certain things: they can detect an enemy vegetable from a mile away and innately understand that a zoo is a good place to be. How do they do that?!
Regardless, here is a quick run-down of some of our encounters with "mother nature behind bars."

Lia and papa inspecting the reindeer.

The two girls marveling at how HUGE a walrus can be! Geez!

This would have been the ultimate Kodak Moment had it not been for the obnoxious kids who distracted Lia at the exact moment when the puffin finally decided to swim up to the window. Drats!

Bonding with the budgies. I just like saying their name.

Pointing at the jellyfishes.

Doesn't it look like Lia is trying to become an anemone by attaching herself to the rock? You know how the saying goes: When in Rome....

Lia learned the word shark today for obvious reasons and consequently began declaring all fish as sharks. No matter how many times we corrected her, it never sunk in. Oh well. There's always next time.

We stumbled across one of the elephants in the Asian section. Lia was much more fascinated with the giant pile of "pooh pooh" than the giant animal.

Monkey gazing.


We found the "Kid's Zone" at the end of the day and made our way down one of the slides.

Last stop: The Carousel.

2 comments:

  1. umm... I DO keep up on you blog silly but after I read each novel of a post I have nothing to add. I love you girl and wish we lived closer....I was just on last week...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of how you mocked me constantly for my "eeewww's" as stumbled around Costa Rica.

    I love the anemone picture! So cute.

    ReplyDelete