Sunday, September 24, 2017

Coldplay: A Head Full of Dreams Concert

Although I am not a die-hard music fan or a regular concert goer, I do have two bands that I have absolutely loved for years:  U2 and Coldplay.  I fell in love with U2 in the early 90s while in high school and I fell in love with Coldplay right after college in the early 2000s.  I have seen U2 in concert a total of three times in my life, but I have never seen Coldplay.  And, to be honest with you, it wasn't even on my radar.  I am too busy being a mom of three young kids to follow where and when Coldplay is performing.  But, just by luck, I received an email from Tickmaster the week before the U2 concert I attended last May with an ad for Coldplay's upcoming concert to Seattle.  Apparently, their "A Head Full of Dreams" tour has been touring since March of 2016 and Seattle was to be their 103rd city out of a total of 123 cities!  I immediately wanted to go to this concert, but with who?  Since I really didn't have anyone in my town, I started thinking outside of my own immediate area and thought of Brent, my one brother who loves Coldplay as much as me.  There's just one catch:  he lives in Montana.  I decided to call him up and ask him if he wanted to join me.  And to my surprise, not only did he say that he was in, but also his two, teenage daughters.  So, before I knew it, tickets were bought and I was going to see Coldplay with my brother and two of my nieces.  I was so excited!
Brent and his two girls drove out to Washington Friday after leaving work and school early.  After they spent the day palling around with other cousins yesterday, I picked them up in Bellevue and off we went for our evening of fun in the Century Link Stadium in Seattle with 65,000 other Coldplay fans.  After two lackluster, opening acts, the four of us were blown away by the most amazing, colorful, fun concert of my life.  It was like one nonstop, dance party for two hours.  It was an amazing display of color and energy between the fireworks, rainbow colored confetti, giant balloons, lasers, and electronic wristbands that lit up!  I have never attended a concert where there were so many fun things to look at and interact with in addition to dancing and singing along to the music.  Chris Martin and the band played all of my favorites from "Paradise" to "A Sky Full of Stars."  It was so much fun to dance the night away with my brother and my nieces at my side while watching the stadium constantly light up in a spectrum of different, flashing colors from the wristbands!  It was one of those nights I will never forget!


The giant, Coldplay poster hanging outside the stadium.


Sarah, Kelsey, and I standing in front of the poster.


We made it!  The four of us standing in front of our amazing seats on the 18th row of the stadium before the concert started.


Sarah Mae showing off her new, Coldplay hat that she bought before the concert.


#ColdplaySeattle.  Bring it on!


The amazing backdrop of the stage complete with a rainbow made from real, cut flowers.


The map of Coldplay's concert tour in North American all lit up on the screen as they were about to enter.  Notice that the line stopped in Seattle.


What we first saw all around the stadium when the electronic wristbands lit up as Coldplay was coming out.  Since these wristbands were controlled by a computer, we had no way of knowing when they would turn on or off or what color they would be.  It was so fun watching them change throughout the concert AND seeing the spectacular display that thousands of them would create around the stadium.


The "Head Full of Dreams" symbol on the smaller screen above the stage.


And here they are!  The opening act begins after Coldplay came onto stage and started singing, "A Head Full of Dreams."


A close-up of Chris Martin and Jonny Buckland.


After some time, the band moved down the runway to a smaller stage in the middle of the audience on the floor.  This was fun for us to see as it was really close to where we were sitting.


All four of our wristbands lit up and glowing!


Brent and I dancing the night away.


During the performance of the song, "Adventure of a Lifetime," they sent beachball-sized, balloons into the audience that were so much fun to try to hit back up into the air.  They bounced around the massive audience for the rest of the concert.


A shot of a some of the balloons that ended up floating around the stage.


The amazing green and purple lasers during the performance of "Paradise."  It was so awesome to see this--especially in combination with everyone's wristbands flashing on and off in an array of colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment