Monday, January 2, 2023

Our Winter Trip to Priest Lake

The kids and I just returned home from a five day getaway to Priest Lake for our annual winter trip with the rest of my family.  Since Ron opted to stay home this year for some peace and quiet, I was required to find a way to get my family there since my van is not equipped for winter travel over Snoqualmie Pass and the compact snow and icy roads that usually exist the last 1.5 hours drive to Priest Lake.  Luckily, my brother had a pair of studded, snow tires that he wasn't using and loaned them to me to put on my car for the trip.  This was the perfect solution as my van barely slid at all over the icy roads on the final stretch to the cabin.  We left on December 28th and returned on January 1st.  Besides Lia getting sick with the flu two of the three days there, the kids and I had a great time playing and sledding in the two to three feet of snow and being with the rest of my family which was 24 in all!  Although driving there and back was a bit of a stress for me, I am grateful that I was able to provide a way for my children to bond with their cousins and be a part of this family tradition.


Callie celebrated her 19th birthday (what?!) the evening that we arrived at the cabin.  Here she is blowing out the candles on her ice cream sundae after dinner was over.


We then enjoyed watching all of the cousins participate in their annual gift exchange.  Here is Lia opening up a box full of Pura Vida bracelets from Callie.


Logan got an awesome moon lamp from Trenton.


Ella received a beautiful, AGD outfit for her new doll, Samantha, from Sarah.


Emmett opening up a Lego Duplo Train set from Riley.


Ella enjoyed being wrapped up tightly in blanket thanks to the mad skills of Uncle Eric.


As always, the kids enjoyed watching PBS Kids every morning while we were at the cabin.  Here is everyone, plus Trenton, sharing a blanket on the couch.


Although the kids and I enjoyed a morning and afternoon sledding session all three days there, I took the majority of the pictures on our first morning.  Since this was the only day that Lia was healthy and able to go outside and play with us, this was a lucky break.  Here is the traditional family photo that I got Hannah to take of us.


The Hartland fam, minus papa, in the snow.


Due to the icy layer underneath the compacted snow layer, the sledding was the fastest it has ever been in all of our years at Priest Lake.  The kids and I had a great time going on run after run down the hill.  Here is Emmett heading down the hill with Kelsey.


Lia hanging out with Sarah on the side of the road.


The three younger kids all enjoyed going down the new ski skooter that they got for Christmas.  Ella and Emmett both did such an amazing job sliding down the hill on it!


I enjoyed going on several runs with Emmett either in my lap or on my back.  He was absolutely fearless this year!


As always, all of my kids loved eating the snow whenever they wanted to.  I don't know why they love doing this so much!  Here is a darling picture Spencer took of Ella munching away!


Lia getting ready to head down the hill with Emmett on her lap.


Lia and Emmy sliding down the hill with Ella in front of them.


We walked down the hill to play in the neighbor's perfectly untouched snow on their tennis court which is an annual tradition for kids and me.  Unfortunately, the snow was so hard and crunchy this year that it didn't make for the funnest of play.  Emmett did have a great time scooting around on the court though.


Callie and Lia hanging out on the snow-covered tennis court.


Emmet was a total pro on the ski skooter and could make it down the long sledding hill with only one or two falls.  It was amazing to watch him figure this thing out!


Emmett an Ella (on Trenton's ski skooter) heading down the hill together.


I joined the boys down on the snowy beach another morning to throw snowballs in the water.  Here is Emmett getting ready to throw one in!


Trenton and Logan dug an elaborate set of tunnels in the snow bank on the beach.  Here they are standing in front of their masterpiece.


All three boys lined up in a row with the frigid water behind them.  It's hard to believe that we were happily swimming in that water only four months ago!

No comments:

Post a Comment